Company description At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
Job summary Be the expert customers turn to when they need to build their strategic system. The Red Hat Open Innovation Labs team is looking for an Application Development Architect to join us. In this role, you will build applications that scale to the demands of the modern digital marketplace. You ll serve as one of our consultants, who are industry leaders in cloud automation, mobile apps, API development, and web-scale systems architecture. You ll work together with customers in small teams to build, test, and iterate over innovative application prototypes attached to real business value. You ll use a variety of modern application development practices, along with emerging technologies from the communities of open source, to get it done. As an Application Development Architect, you will help us become the defining technology company of the 21st century built on open source principles. You ll also help us to fulfill our vision by guiding the strategic success of our customers using Red Hat's open source software by building the industry's best team of open source developers and partnering with our customers to build the premium software systems of tomorrow. This is a remote position with weekly travel to customer sites and can be located anywhere in the U. S. within close proximity to an airport. Successful applicants must reside in a state where Red Hat is registered to do business.
Primary job responsibilities
- Team up with our customers to lead the design and implementation of application prototypes in our labs, using modern application development practices and open source emerging technologies from domains like microservices, API management, and web-scale architectures, DevOps engineering and application delivery, container-based continuous delivery (CD), cloud automation, and everything-as-code
- Create measurable hypotheses tied to business value; design a solution that tests these hypotheses over the course of an Open Innovation Labs residency to help our customers quickly realize their business goals
- Team up with the open source community to engineer Open Innovation Labs-based software solutions designed to further accelerate our customers' success at Open Innovation Labs
- Remain a coder that stays close to the pulse of modern technology and innovation
- Become a trusted adviser to our customers, helping them achieve business success in an ever-changing technology landscape
- Use your critical thinking skills to tackle tough problems in an innovative way
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or other container tools
- Experience working with automation tools
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or a related technical discipline
- Experience leading successful modern software development projects
- Experience facilitating software design and ideation sessions
- Practical advanced coding skills in multiple languages and environments
- Ability to perform customer-facing activities in a fast-paced environment with short timeframes
- Working knowledge of design patterns applicable to modern software development
- Applied knowledge of working in agile, scrum, and DevOps teams
- Comfortable working with highly distributed teams, including interaction with open source communities
- Significant development and delivery experience with multiple programming languages, including Java
- Experience with the design, development, testing, and deployment of large, distributed applications
- Solid object-oriented skills and applied knowledge of software design patterns
- Applied knowledge of modern software delivery methods like TDD, BDD, continuous integration (CI) and CD
- Great written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to study and learn quickly and put new topics into practice
- Passion for open source software
- Willingness to travel to customer locations about 30-40 weeks per year on average
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.