Senior VMware Engineer (Remote/Virtual) (Job Number:435444)
The Senior VMware Engineer will be part of the GSA Enterprise Operations (GEO) program providing critical design and support for the complex virtual datacenter environments. This engineer must be able to work collaboratively with customers, application owners and other GEO teams to provide exceptional customer service.
The successful candidate would be responsible for the following duties:
- Performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all virtual hardware, resources, systems and key processes.
- Performing advanced troubleshooting and root cause analysis to expedite incident resolution.
- Developing scripts to gain efficiencies for reporting and automating repetitive tasks.
- Evaluating requests for hardware and software; research and recommend solutions which meet or exceed the customer requirements.
- Planning and managing workloads, projects, and other administrative tasks associated with the GEO Virtual team.
- Assisting with the design and remote installations of physical servers or hyperconverged hardware for the virtual infrastructure.
- Performing the installation, configuration and maintenance of the VMware virtual infrastructure, including, but not limited to, vCenter Server Appliance, vRealize Operations Manager (vROps), vRealize Automation (vRA), vRealize Orchestrator (vRO), vRealize Business, ESXi, Update Manager and NSX.
- Developing VMware vCenter and vROps reports for performance, troubleshooting and capacity planning.
- Developing custom blueprints and workflows using vRA and vRO to automate and simplify tasks.
- Provisioning and cloning virtual machines and server appliances as needed.
- Maintaining and restoring virtual machine "backups" and snapshots.
- Performing upgrades and applying patches or firmware updates to the virtual infrastructure software or hardware.
- Providing support for server hardware failures and assist remotely with hardware replacement.
- Participating in the on- call support rotation, responding to support calls both during and after business hours/weekends/holidays/shutdowns.
- Providing configuration management and security compliance for the virtual infrastructure software and hardware.
- Developing and updating standard operating procedures and user guides.
- Completing service requests or incidents tickets in support of the virtual infrastructure.
- Collaborating with vendors, customers, GSA managers, application owners and other GEO team members as necessary for projects, tasks and customer support.
- Providing technical leadership and assume overall accountability for the successful management and implementation of customer projects.
- Bachelor-s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline and 9+ years of VMware engineering experience or must have a minimum of 13 years of experience using VMware vSphere technology.
- Candidate must possess a US -Public Trust- clearance, Secret (or higher) clearance, or be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance. Certifications: VCP6-DCV
- Experience with VMware vRealize Automation and VMware vRealize Orchestrator.
- Experience with VMware vCenter and VMware vCenter/vRealize Operations Manager.
- Experience with implementing and supporting VMware VSAN.
- Experience designing solutions to improve latency and performance issues.
- Working knowledge of multiprocessing, threading, concurrency, distributed systems, load balancing and high availability.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate effectively, self-awareness, and excellent written and oral communications.
- Ability to drive efficient resolution of all incidents through analytical and structured approaches to problem solving.
- Experience and in-depth understanding of Active Directory, DNS and other Windows core services.
- Ability to learn new products and technologies.
- Ability to develop standard operating procedures and project documentation.
- Ability to research solutions for various business needs and technical
problems; this includes evaluating alternatives and providing recommendations.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC-s approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see ( My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Mar 29, 2018, 2:58:51 PM
Primary Location: United States-DC-WASHINGTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: Yes
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Shift: Day Job