NOTE: To be considered for a remote position, you need to be based in the U.S. at this time.
We need a developer with a solid understanding of WordPress, theme coding, and most importantly, the ability to work as part of a team.
Your primary responsibility will be converting layered Illustrator/Sketch designs to WordPress parent and child themes that we custom code & build from scratch. Your HTML5 & CSS3 skills will shine as you show off optimization and code quality when resolving bugs and issues when they come up. You’ll also work at designing and developing better user experiences and measuring the effect on those through A/B tests.
We practice good coding standards, we build for the future, and we don’t believe in cowboy coding or working in a bubble. We’re looking for thinkers … with talent. We don’t need employees.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
- Writing code with a focus on performance, speedy page load times, improving conversion rates
- Building sites and implementing redesigns, designed in Illustrator/Sketch, on our WordPress-based sites
- Coding features for our sites (both through WP Themes and not) using HTML5/CSS/PHP/JS
- Designing and developing better user experiences and measuring the effect on those through A/B tests
- Future-proofing our sites with maintenance fixes, updating features, and rolling out responsive, mobile-friendly platforms
- Conversing, committing, and delivering via Asana/Slack/GitHub/email (in whatever order that is)
- Exploring new technologies/tools for finding solutions to new (and old) problems
- Optimizing conversions with A/B testing and Visual Website Optimizer and Google Optimize (yep … important enough to list here and not with the Pluses below)
Application Architecture (things you’ll HAVE to know)
- Heavy PHP Experience (you love PHP so much you got excited when null coalescing operators were added to PHP7)
We’re serious about the PHP part. We’re not talking about getting by with WordPress-PHP. We’re not a typical WP Theme shop, and you’ll have a hard time keeping up if you aren’t confident in your abilities.
- Rock-solid, working, current knowledge of the in and outs, ups and downs of WordPress
- Sass, Bourbon, etc. (or other CSS pre-processor)
- CSS Frameworks (Bourbon/Neat, Twitter Bootstrap, 960.gs, Foundation, etc… we roll our own, btw)
- Experience with build and package management tools like Gulp, Grunt, NPM, Bower, etc
- Structured Data (gotta satisfy the Googles)
- Advanced understanding of all the cool buzzwords… SEO, Web-standards, accessibility and usability concepts, information architecture, UX & UI design (heavy on the UX)
- Good communication skills & a great can-do attitude (We’re totally serious about this one.)
- A GitHub account or experience with other version control (SVN, CVS, etc. … but git/gh is where it’s at)
- Chris Coyier is a hero of yours.
- Headless CMS and static site generators intrigue you.
- You know the entire CanIUse library inside and out.
- You want to teach as much as learn.
- You have a pixel-perfect design eye with Photoshop/Illustrator or Sketch skills to match. It’s going to come in super-handy.
- You read sites like SmashingMagazine.com and actually put tutorials into practice.
- You’ve attended a WordCamp, Meetup, or other industry conference.
- Centrally located in downtown Houston, free employee parking
- Coed work environment, casual dress
- Cool office perks (free sodas/Topo Chico/coffee, snacks, etc.)
- Generous salary considerations & full benefits
What We Value
We love to work as a team but office hours are flexible. Producing is more important than meeting a “9 to 5” schedule. We understand there are moments when you need to isolate yourself to concentrate so working from home is permitted and encouraged. We like to have a good time and minimize stress with good in-office coffee, lounge/reading time and regular happy hours. We work hard and meet realistic deadlines. What good is delivering a poor product early?
HigherEducation.com builds sites that attract more than 15,000 online student enrollments annually for our university partners.