Rackspace is modernizing IT in today's multi-cloud world. We have been honored by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor and others as one of the best places to work. We serve over 50% of the Fortune 100 companies & customers in 120 countries around the globe. Our achievements are powered by our people - we call them Rackers. We grow & thrive through world-class development opportunities, learning & selling bleeding-edge technologies & solutions, and most importantly, connecting with each other (the best & brightest in the industry). Are you a Racker? Join us!
More on Rackspace
Rackers aren't all alike. We look different. We think uniquely. We are from many places and our beliefs & backgrounds vary. But, being a Racker - a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission - is what connects us all. Rackers are encouraged to bring their whole self to work every day, as we know that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers & communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Write quality, clean, maintainable code and automated tests using engineering best practices (unit testing, continuous integration, automation etc.) to ship code out to production multiple times a day
- Contribute to architectural decisions to improve service reliability and security
- Collaborate with other software engineers, product managers, user experience designers, and operations engineers on a daily basis
- Own the web application running in production end-to-end by measuring error rates, fixing defects, and helping turn common customer errors into better experiences
- Attend and participate in key business and technical meetings with stakeholders, partner with other engineering teams towards solving complex problems and remove roadblocks that impede development
- Actively participate in work scoping activities including grooming and planning, provide the team with a level of effort estimates for stories etc.
- Work with the team to iteratively improve agile processes
- Mentor less experienced developers in technical areas
- Ensure that product architecture and implementation is maintainable and extendible to accommodate future development and maintenance. This may include creation of architecture documentation and involve architecture design review, security review etc.
- Staying up to date on technology trends using that knowledge and skills to build out world class customer experiences
- Influence technical direction and strategy within and beyond the immediate team keeping the larger business goals in mind
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science from an accredited institution required; advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of technical experience in software development
- Demonstrated success in software product development projects of significant scope at an enterprise level
- 10+ years practical engineering experience in building and running customer facing web applications
- Intermediate-level knowledge of Object Oriented programming in a server-side language such as Python/Java/Ruby
- Knowledge of automated build/deploy systems, such as Jenkins, CircleCI
- Ability to collaborate with designers to turn mocks into working applications that adhere to the design vision
- Solid understanding of unit functional and integration tests. Able to define needed tests with little guidance
Required Soft Skills:
- Experience working effectively on a distributed team that is all remote
- Ability to onboard and ramp up quickly with an all remote team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Take full ownership of work
- Lead group discussions to positive compromises
- Ability to advocate a technical position while being open to alternative ideas
Nice to haves:
- Experience with RESTful web service design and development
- Experience with modern web application development builds like Webpack. Node experience a plus
- Familiarity with common Python frameworks such as Flask, Django, or Twisted
- Understanding of web technologies (HTTP, web servers (NGINX, Apache)), and familiarity with Linux
- Experience developing applications in a Kubernetes and/or OpenShift environment
- Experience developing/maintaining applications with AWS infrastructure (Lambda, CloudFront, CloudWatch, etc)
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Remote, US only
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Rackspace is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.