We're Food52, and we've created a groundbreaking and award-winning cooking and home site. We support, connect, and celebrate home cooks, and give them everything they need in one place.
We're looking for a senior software engineer (5+ years experience) who loves to both code and mentor. You'll be responsible for helping other engineers understand best practices in a thoughtful and considerate way, and earn respect through the high quality code that you contribute. Our team has ~6 software engineers who work alongside our product manager, UX researcher, designer, and VP of Engineering to build the systems that run Food52.com. Our website is written in Ruby on Rails; on the client side we use React and Knockout. Our batch systems are authored in Python and Clojure (for Cascalog / Hadoop).
Please note: Food52 hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of home cooks.
Who You Are
- You are an experienced software engineer with at least five years experience who loves writing code and finding simple solutions that solve user and business needs.
- You see your role as both mentor and coder, putting the needs of the team first. You enjoy helping other engineers understand best practices in a thoughtful and considerate way, and earn respect through high quality work.
- Mentor other software engineers by collaborating on architectural and design considerations and helping them understand standard solutions and when to cut corners.
- Implement features in our editorial and e-commerce platform.
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code refactoring, and other software engineering best practices.
- At least five years of experience in software engineering teams, with some amount of team lead or mentorship experience.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and AWS.
- Strong background in algorithms, data structures, and software engineering principles.
- Strong background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end to end and how applications perform under load.