Interpersonal Frequency (I.F.) is seeking a Development Manager to add to our growing team.
At I.F., we’re putting the government in the cloud. We design, build, maintain, and grow sites on our open web stack for some of the largest cities, public libraries, and government agencies in the country. We also created a suite of proprietary analytics tools that survey 3.4 million Americans each day. We are bringing in new clients faster than our team can handle, and are looking for a Development Manager to help manage our web development team and continue to deliver cutting-edge, open sourced websites for our clients.
I.F. is a profitable, 8 year-old company with team members in Seattle, Manhattan, Texas and the DC area.
We provide a remote work environment, so you don’t need to move for this job. We encourage face to face collaboration in our regional offices and expect you travel when required.
Working remotely means we can bring together some of the best minds in the country. Between video calls and Slack, the distance evaporates quickly, and ideas, projects and puns fly at the speed of light. Working remotely also allows us to find harmony in work / life balance.
Who you are
- A superior leader with solid people and organizational skills and proven experience building, coaching and developing a technical team remotely.
- You bring superior tactical and execution skills and naturally take the initiative to drive and execute multiple concurrent activities.
- Your solid technical background supports you in providing guidance to the team.
- You are comfortable and confident in your ability to interface effectively with senior managers, business partners and clients.
- You possess a nuanced sense of when to strongly advocate for a position and when to seek compromise.
What you’ll do
You will be responsible for the quality and on-time delivery of development services and solutions and will work in partnership with other I.F. teams to establish delivery schedules, assign resources and oversee the delivery of development work product. Service delivery areas include:
- Business development support (e.g. feature estimations and new client sales interviews)
- New site development (e.g., Drupal front and back-end development and third party integrations)
- Current site maintenance and break-fix support
- Internal projects support (e.g., I.F. platform development and maintenance)
In support of service delivery you will:
- Derive developer work assignments from client requirements
- Assign and monitor development delivery
- Adjust priorities/work assignments based on new requests, technical issues as they arise or business development-related requests
- Communicate and coordinate with client-facing project managers, account managers, and I.F. management stakeholders
You will manage a geographically dispersed team of developers and will be responsible for developer hiring, staffing, training, and performance. You will work with your team to:
- Identify gaps, improve and maintain development team working processes, tools and staffing levels (e.g., proactively forecast required staffing levels)
- Ensure that development work packages and services are properly implemented not only technically but also in terms of timeliness and care with client interaction
- You must either be a US Citizen or already have a Green Card to apply
- Experience working remotely and with team communication tools such as Zoom and Slack
- Seven+ years experience building software-based solutions
- Three+ years leadership experience (with at least one year of experience managing a team remotely)
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage and retain geographically distributed technical teams, including performance management
- Innate comfort with and talent in resolving conflict, while fostering a collaborative and communicative environment
- Experience working closely with design and project teams throughout the software development life cycle
- Strong process orientation and experience integrating tools to ensure seamless service delivery
- Familiar with principles of source control (e.g., Git or similar) and deployment strategies
Nice to have experience
- Experience developing estimates and supporting new business efforts
- Previous hands-on experience with web development technology