Requisition ID # 14769
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Daly CityCompany
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California
is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job. Department Overview
The men and women of Electric Transmission and Distribution ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric T&D is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.Position Summary
This classification is represented by IBEW Local 1245, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining. A Transmission Cableman patrols and inspects underground transmission lines. This may include all forms of underground patrolling. Must have the craft qualifications of a Cable Splicer and performs any underground line work in connection with maintenance, operation and construction of underground transmission lines. May be required to perform switching, line structure maintenance, minor repairs/replacement of hardware, and reinsulation.This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.Job Responsibilities
- Patrols and inspects underground transmission lines.
- Performs any underground line work in connection with maintenance, operation and construction of underground transmission lines.
- Must have adequate oral and written skills to communicate clearly with customers, property owners, and others.
- Must be capable of performing transmission live line work. Performing live line work is only that work limited to inspection of energized lines.
- Must be able to properly assess the urgency of a problem for correction.
- May be required to travel and stay away from home.
- Switching shall be limited to that normally performed by a Cableman.
- May work alone, however, in all instances when working in confined spaces, manholes, etc., must work with a Helper or assistant.
- The primary duties of this classification will be transmission work. May assist, be part of, or direct a crew doing transmission work.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- 4 years of experience in a high voltage, electric construction role (e.g. journey-level electrician, electrical technician, cableman, lineman)
- Experience in reading electronic circuit maps, schematic diagrams, troubleshooting and technical diagrams
- Able to lift 100 pounds below waist and 50 pounds above shoulders
- Able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Able to work and drive in all types of weather and road conditions
- Able to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Able to travel to job sites as necessary
- Must be able to successfully complete company-provided training in a timely manner
- Internal PG&E Employees:
- Qualified on the Physical Test Battery [PTB] prior to applying
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit by within 3 months of hire
- External and Hiring Hall Candidates:
- Qualified on the Physical Test Battery [PTB] prior to interviewing
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit by Day 1 of hire
- Must possess and maintain a valid DMV Medical Card by Day 1 of hire
- Live within 30 minutes of headquarters due to emergency and urgent requests
- Familiarity with underground network systems, including experience with lead cable
- Substation and or electrical maintenance experience
- Class A California Driver's License with Hazardous Materials Endorsement
- Familiarity with Transmission Underground Systems, e.g. basic construction and maintenance principles
- Basic computer and mobile device skills
- Competency in developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Ability to perform transmission live line work with energized lines in a safe manner needed to perform at the job level